The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a postcard and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Don’t just blindly repeat the words you’ve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words you’re speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time you’ll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change one’s life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here is a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it’s me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"/>
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Stability and Wealth, Healing, Health - Good morning, God I just wanna tell you thank you for waking me up this morning and everything you have put in place for me… ...
- Pray for my husband please - I pray that the lord can heal the pain in my husbands heart, show him the love and mercy the lord has for him. His… ...
- Granddaughter - Please pray for my grandchildren and daughters. Please pray for my grandson to get back in school. Please pray for my husband and I to… ...
- stop the stress , just peace, no more bad luck! - i seem to be having a lot of bad luck,,,,it doesnt seem to stop, it has be so stressed, plus one bad neighbor who has… ...
- Depression - In carehome roommate is evil she has one CNA wrapped around her finger. When he is susposed to help other receidents he will. go on… ...
- Deep favour from Humbet leadership and community - I am requesting prayer for the community to find deep favour in me and the work that I do. On September 2 I will be… ...
- peace of mind and prayer for my worries - I need help to pray for strength and courage as I step down for another challenge in my work please guide me and make me… ...
- So much. - There has been so much going on. After a 10 year relationship with a really bad alcoholic I have filed for divorce. Right now the… ...
- I got a job that I really like and I’m not good with the computer. Please pray for me and Serenity, that God bless us with his divine wisdom and knowledge to learn instantly. Thank you so much - new job. 8:00 a.m- 4:00 p.m Monday- Friday and some Saturday. I have a daughter 9 year old. I'm believing God for favor and to… ...
- Prayer For Wronged Men - Please pray for Mr. Joss Whedon, jeremy renner & cuba gooding jr. Please pray that they are acquitted of these accusations brought against them and… ...
- Guy - My best friend and lover of over 20 years Guy, died suddenly in January. He was just 45. His heart gave out, he’d only felt… ...
- Divine assistance for your U.S President to hang tightly to God for right decisision for the Glory ogGod Almighty - Twice I prayed for your US President. Being a President to look after your powerful Nation in the World is a tough. May you and… ...
- Died but not dead - Our pastor friend just lost her mother from COVID and Alzheimers. Our friend and family need comfort; our friend carries sadness and grief heavily. I'm… ...
- Prayer for your thoughts - My dear Lord, the question that lies upon my heart is: " Where did my promise ring go along with my jewels? Don't you see… ...
- I need day shift on my ne - new job. 8:00 a.m- 4:00 p.m Monday- Friday and some Saturday. I have a daughter 9 year old. I'm believing God for favor and to… ...
- Alone - Dear precious Heavenly Father, I know Your love is great and my faith is strong. I'm having a real problem being alone. My husband has… ...
- My Desperate Pleas - Dear Lord, I am already at the precipice of my desperation. I am anxious, worried, sad, all the adjectives I can use to describe just… ...
- To relieve my son’s anxiety and depression - Dear Lord, I pray for my son's well being. He is overwhelmed at work and has difficulty with an employee. His anxiety and depression makes… ...
- Trust God - Thank you Lord that you have given me all things you have predestined me move fear and anxiety out of my life I will take… ...
- Help me to except change - Help me to get my health back so I can get my own place that I can afford my daughter to have a safe and… ...