The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a post card and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Dont just blindly repeat the words youve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words youre speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time youll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change ones life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here are a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know its me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Walk in boldness and confidence- Heavenly Father thank you for your goodness mercy and grace Please help me to walk in confidence and boldness today Help me to put fear… ...
- God’s will- For Genie give her wisdom Lord to see her meds for what they are and speak to the doc about change. Be with her for… ...
- A new job- God i need your help as i am looking for a good new job direct my path dear God make the crooked way straight. Amen ...
- Give me peace dear Lord- Help me to find peace in the midst of the turmoil in my life. Help me to cope with the continued loss in my life.… ...
- His will be done- I have stage 3 lung cancer and I'm dealing with a lot of anxiety. my only emotional support is my faith and a wonderful loving… ...
- Get rid of evil spirit- An evil spirit keeps coming to my apt. It flutters in the air next to me aggravating, tormenting me. I never invited any such things.… ...
- Peace and Prosperity- I’m grateful for a more peaceful life in 2019. Thank you God for giving me more so that in turn i may do more for… ...
- Strength and Guidance- God guide me for the following year give me strength and peace of mind in know you are able and you already know what's going… ...
- Praying for Wisdom in all area of my life.- Dear Sister -in- Christ, I wish you compliment of the season. I am writing as a believer to make a prayer request in the name… ...
- Desperately in need of prayer- Please pray for my dear friend Teresa who has ALS who, until a recent accident, had been able to maintain a degree of independence and… ...
- Sane Mind- Lord, Jesus Christ I come begging to you please protect me and my family from distraction from evil and toxic people who have forgotten you.… ...
- Inner strengh- Father in heaven please accept my humble plea for strength during this most difficult time of my Life I have been diagnosed with metastatic breast… ...
- Strength! Happiness! Abundant- Heavenly Father Thank you for everything you have set before me! Both hood! Both bad! Both trial and test you keep with a story of… ...
- The Uplifting Serenity Prayer- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.… ...
- Hope and strength- Father, please help me through this battle I am facing with my husband. Please allow the judge to see all the good in him and… ...
- Giving God ALL areas of my life- Lord I pray for you to take control over my mind ,spirit, mouth, thoughts,marriage,kids, finances,home,health. Heal me mentally,physically and spiritually. Teach me how to always… ...
- Restoration of friendship- I have a lovely friend to whom I said in pretty overwhelming detail how he should grow up and discover life as a mature adult.… ...
- Restoration- Lord help me trust in you and only you. Don’t allow me to be caught up in my now and help me understand your rail… ...
- Peace of Mind, No Anxiety and Worry- I pray for peace, joy, love, happiness, favor and the ability to pay off all my bills and be a blessing to others that are… ...
- Desperate for housing- I need housing. I am alone and scared. Jesus guide me. Prayers for Randy. I need a car. Finacial help. Blessings ...