The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a postcard and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Don’t just blindly repeat the words you’ve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words you’re speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time you’ll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change one’s life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here is a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it’s me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- I Need Peaceful Sleep - Please pray for me. I haven't slept well in years. I have nothing but nightmares. I try my best to be a good person and… ...
- Father lead me on the right direction I need you. - Father I ask that you guide me in the right direction and be with me through this hard walk father I feel so alone like… ...
- Please pray for my backslidden son. - Heavenly Father, You love my only son James with a Perfect and Everlasting Love and he is Your Gift to me and his Mum, Mary.… ...
- Children - Dear , Lord Almighty thank you for your Love & Marcy for Loving me , for sacrificed your life for us the we can have… ...
- Friend - I need help to sleep. I only slept three hours and I need to go back to sleep and I can’t. I’m so anxious. My… ...
- My love, My Life, My happiness - Dear Lord, times are really hard right now and life has really got me down. I don’t know what to do. I ask that You… ...
- Praying for MJ - Heavenly Father, in Jesus name I pray. Again! He's back in our lives Again! This isn't joy for me. My mind has gone very dark… ...
- Help - Lately I felt under attack, I was depressed, had anxiety a lot of anger and bitterness so last night I prayed really hard for these… ...
- Faith - Lord help me with I new faith, guidance and hearing and understanding of the direction you have planned for me. ...
- Pray for my husband - Please pray for my husband to be calm, peaceful, and untroubled at his eye surgery tomorrow. ...
- Peace - Please pray for me I'm going through a rough time. I have a lot of chronic pain. I'm suffering through some loses of loved ones.… ...
- Peace - Praying in finding peace, hope and continue on my road in faithfulness. I pray for our world that we may all find our way out… ...
- rampant adhd - Lord, please carry me through each day. Please let me have the strength to ignore, avoid, not look at the distractions that usually corner me,… ...
- Work in Peace - Hello, hope all is well. I am asking your prayers, in the name of Jesus, for a situation. I am wanting to work on a… ...
- Other daughter relationship - Need wisdom, strength with a 51 yr old who just wants, wants, wants.. Still holds childhood issues ahainst me... single mother, worked 3 jobs, had… ...
- Freedom from severe anxiety - Please pray for all in my family to find work to meet our needs. I’m riddled with anxiety because of job and income loss that… ...
- Habitual addiction/ addicting habit - I'm not sure I jyst hope you can or at thus say and sing this lost sheep back home. Unto my father my. God my… ...
- Friend - My friend is very sick. He has osteoarthritis and extreme shoulder pain since 2013, off and on. He needs to forgive his ex girlfriends and… ...
- keep strength - Lord God, I thank you for all you've done, did and will do. Thanks for listening, caring and protecting us during the day and all… ...
- Need to accept & fulfill God’s will for my life and my creation - I lost my husband 2 1/2 years ago. We were in the process of moving to another state. We had just purchased a home at… ...