The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a postcard and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Don’t just blindly repeat the words you’ve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words you’re speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time you’ll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change one’s life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here is a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it’s me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"/>
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Prayer for forgivness of sins on judgement day also now whilst alive to the lord - Lord i ask that you hear this prayer that i make to you i ask you lord Jesus that you have mercy on me and… ...
- Dear Jesus Please Help Me - Peace of mind over a man I met 20 years ago that I fell in love with. He lied to me and I found out… ...
- Peace of mind for family - Peace of mind over my brother. Need calmess and peace in his life, spirit and mind. ...
- Restoration of Joy and peace for myself and my husband and my family - Hello, 1st please pray for the sick afflicted by COVID and the families affected by the loss of loved ones. Pray that we will all… ...
- Trusting the Lord - Dear Lord and Savior, i pray that i can learn to trust in you completely and to be able to let go and Let God.… ...
- prayer for my brother battling cancer - Dear God, I have a older brother who has been diagnosed with cancer. His body is consumed by cancer. He is in pain from top… ...
- Heaviness/Stress - Lord I ask you in Your mighty name that you bring peace and serenity at work, and healing for my dementia mother. If healing is… ...
- Wisdom & Guidance - I ask humbly that you would all agree with me in prayer for wisdom and complete spiritual discernment with understanding to hear God's word and… ...
- Adversity - Praying for me against the landlord, his son and other neighbours who declared war against me...they punctured the tyres of my car to prevent me… ...
- Prayer for my son Coco - Praying for my 19 year old son who has lost his way. I am hoping to see the same, old son i used to have.… ...
- Deliveri - Every night at 12 am my bed vibrates. I asked my husband lay on my bed he doesn't feel the vibration that I feel. I… ...
- Noisy Neighbors - Please pray for us regarding our neighbors for 1 year now. We've talked to them about 10 times to keep their noise down but the… ...
- Deliver us from Babylon - Pray that the fire and wrath of God will straight up burn the fema camps if they’re meant for anything like what does what done… ...
- Deliver us from Babylon - Pray all around the world God, His angels, and His people will take control of prosperity, wealth, money, protection, peace, power, happiness, health, immunity, abundance,… ...
- Anxious abt a learner who failed &parents are blaming me &i’ve done aĺl i could showing evidence but the don’t take my story then it has escalated to the district - I'm anxious abt the result i've been taken to the district by a parent whose child failed &blaming for it even when I try to… ...
- Strength - Lord i come to you as humble and greatful towards all that you do for us. I pray Lord for strength and wisdom and guidance.… ...
- A heart on the Lord! - Holy LORD and King of the Ages, I confess that I have not been on fire for you as often as I would have liked.… ...
- Insomnia - I am unable to get a full night's rest.I usually go to sleep in the middle of the morning& maybe sleep 4or5 hours.I am restless… ...
- Bad Demons - I think we have a presence. Sleep paralysis and nightmares and anxiety rule my life. Pray it ends. There are bad spirits in me of… ...
- Deliver us from Babylon - Pray that all those who are tired, lost, lonely, heartbroken, sick, addicted, hungry, homeless, cold, mental ill, scared, worried, any other negative feeling/action/lifestyle will turn… ...