The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a post card and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Dont just blindly repeat the words youve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words youre speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time youll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change ones life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here are a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know its me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Please help to find the keys - Please help my daughter Meghan to find her important keys for her office. Thank you so much God for the help and that they will… ...
- Pray for son, and parents - I am asking for prayer for our adult son to be more settled and peaceful within himself, at home and at his day program. ...
- Understanding - I'm praying for my sister, I pray she is surrounded by goodness, protection and the love of God always. May blessings enter her path for… ...
- Family - Please pray for delivery from anxiety. Thank you. ...
- For my children - My daughter is going through a rough time and she needs your help Jesus. Her freedom and apartment is in jeopardy. Her kids need her… ...
- Prayer for daughter - Dear Lord, Hear my prayer help me to heal the wounds that are troubling my daughter. Help her to make the right choices and I… ...
- Focus - I need more holy balance. Too much on my plate. I need to follow through with what I say I’m going to do. I’m a… ...
- Life’s Unexpected Turns - I need hope, faith, and strength while waiting on God. For faith to overshadow any doubt, fear, anxiety and worry. To believe God will keep… ...
- Help for Partner’s Dementia - Please help me to know what to do about my domestic partner of 6 years and our relationship. I want to leave and be on… ...
- Peace of mind - I'm praying for my son to find peace in his life I find that he stresses a lot over everything he needs to have more… ...
- For GRACE to praise God - Lord give me Grace to praise you despite the challenges I have been facing. Deliver me and my family and give us your peace by… ...
- A prayer for freedom - I pray that God lets me be free of the burden of the system tomorrow and that my children will not face any time alone… ...
- Understanding/Love/Collaboration - Lord, Please give me the strength and helpful words to be open and honest and receive a caring and loving response that allows us to… ...
- May I see the light and find hope in my heart again - Dear magnificent lord, Thank you for all the blessings I have been fortunate to experience in my life. I don’t want to be ungrateful, I… ...
- Calming the Storm and Restoring the Peace - I would like you to pray for my brother. My brother has been going through it lately and it seems like it's never going to… ...
- Subtle thanks - Dear St.Joseph., my patron, Accept my many thanks for all the help and answers to my prayers. Please speak a word of praise and love… ...
- Peace in my life - Please pray for me to have Peace with all the struggles in my life thank you. ...
- Peace and Serenity this week - Heavenly Father God, hear my prayer. Be with me this week as I come to the date of the big move. Give me peace and… ...
- To Glorify Jesus - Father God I thank You and praise You for Your kindness, grace and mercy; I pray for Your Will to be done in the sale… ...
- Courage and strength - That God continues to give me the courage and strength to persevere when things sometimes seem hopeless. ...