The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a post card and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Dont just blindly repeat the words youve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words youre speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time youll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change ones life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here are a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know its me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Strength, Sobriety, and Stamina - It's difficult to gain footing these days. Our strength oft times lie in our weaknesses. I so desperately need the fellowship that has been inhibited… ...
- Abundance of flowing income wealth and Protection - God I just wanna tell you thank you for waking me up this morning and everything you have put in place for me in my… ...
- Mourning of my husband passing. - I lost my husband 4 months ago to cancer , I just feel lost. I pray that one day it gets easier. My husband was… ...
- My friend who lost her Mother - My friends heart is broken over the recent death of her Mother. She cares for her entire family -she is the strength fir them all… ...
- Stress & Anxiety of a Caregiver - I have tremendous stress and anxiety due to my spouses parkinsons. Im loosing my partner's compassion and apathy. I get frustrated and patience with him.… ...
- I Love you Lord - Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing me just one more day. Lord Jesus please forgive me for my known and unknown sins. Lord I except… ...
- To truly know a grateful heart - Heavenly Father I am in a stressful and difficult time of my Life! I feel like joy has left my life and I believe Not… ...
- Change Plans - Lord God through the intercession of St. Jude I pray Ann will change her mind about the drive by Parades and let ppl only come… ...
- Prayer for Faith - That I will find an increase of faith, hope and trust in our Lord that will give me an inner peace and serenity knowing that… ...
- Peace - Please pray that my mind don't betray me and stray to the dark side during these trials. I'm being tried and tested left and right… ...
- seeking directional - I have prayed many years to make enough but not to much to allow me to be debt free and able to stand on my… ...
- All circumstances - Heavenly Father Thank you for allowing me just one more Day. I submit all my circumstances to you Lord. I know I can’t keep my… ...
- healing - Respected sir. I am working as a priest. suffering severe tension, sleep disturbance, anger, tension, intrusive and bad thoughts, and uncontrollable worry about my family.… ...
- God’s Protection - Big transition during covid crisis. Mother&Adult Son needing to each have own apartment, after sharing expenses for 2&1/2 years. Son just left IL. for FL.… ...
- Gluttony - Heavenly Father, resisting eating too much food is hard for me and I haven't been trying my best with the power you bless me with.… ...
- Worry Wart - Dear Lord, Pleases fill me completely with your peace! Help me to trust you in everything, including Covid 19 that is killing so many people… ...
- Nearing the end - Father, I am lost as to how to pray. I know that my days are drawing shorter and shorter. At least that is how it… ...
- Stay Focus on Jesus - Lord I know your word is true I seen miracles that you doing with my life and around me.heavenly Father show me your will and… ...
- Serenity through covid19 - Dear heavenly father I am feeling so down and unfulfilled during this time. My spirit is broken. I am fearful of leaving my home. I… ...
- I need some help. Please. - Out of every single "post category" this is what jumped out at me the most. Serenity. Please pray that God grants me the *serenity* to… ...