The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a post card and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Dont just blindly repeat the words youve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words youre speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time youll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change ones life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here are a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know its me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- La sérénité dans ma relation. - Bonjour. Je viens vous demander de m aide par vos prières pour ma relation avec yann. J ai besoin de construire une vie de couple… ...
- God Save Eric - Please pray for Eric McDonald. Please pray for his salvation. Eric needs Jesus Christ. Please pray for God to open Eric’s eyes to see his… ...
- Favor - I ask for prayer for me and my child for good health, healing, healthy weight, erasing debts and blessing us with huge financial blessings to… ...
- Barreling Old Age - Lord God I want to trust you with my aging body, to be my strength and healing so I may show the life of Jesus… ...
- Heaven without me dying - Please pray for me to go to heaven without me dying tonight. If God wants me to trust him, then God should grant my prayer… ...
- Decision Making - Dear Father, Thank you for opening your arms to me. I seek your comfort and guidance as it feels like people that I love are… ...
- Heaven without me dying - Please pray for me to go to heaven without me dying tonight. I'll be good if God takes me to heaven without me dying tonight.… ...
- Financial break, broken relationship through and spiritual strength - Dear God, help me to break through financially in order for me to settle most of my debts. Not only that, dear God help be… ...
- God’s direction - I need God's direction to know what He wants me to do. I failed a course in school ( nursing ) I have to wait… ...
- For the lost - Dear God, I am pleading for help. I feel lost, alone, and confused. I feel you're love and I am seeing your messages and hearing… ...
- Heaven without me dying - Please pray for God to take me to heaven without me dying tonight. I'm assured that I'm better off if God takes me to heaven… ...
- Slandering and hate - Please pray for me to stay clam and not give in to reacting to those who say hateful things about me whether they pass by… ...
- Hear gods voice. - Father Grant me the serenity, to be able to hear your voice every day all day regardless of where I am in any given situation.… ...
- Going to heaven without me dying - Please pray for God to take me to heaven without me dying tonight. God needs to stop keeping me around. God should have let it… ...
- Help - I pray that I can let go of the past and let go of the self hate that I have for myself. I pray for… ...
- In Need of Divine Intervention - I am in need of Divine Intervention for my home and those who reside in it. I live here with my severely alcoholic boyfriend, my… ...
- Repent and succeed - Lord , I have lost my wife , my soul , all money , who I am suppose to be , pets , friends ,… ...
- Serenity - Heavenly Father, Glorious and Gracious God, I come to you Lord asking for peace that surpasses all understanding, for my son, grandchildren, father, sister, brother,… ...
- Salvation - Please prayvfor my daughter Rebecca, 27 My grandson 5...her husband Ricco. I want my daughter to start going to church, ..when she was a child… ...
- Heaven without me dying - Please pray for me to go to heaven without me dying tonight. God can't keep letting it go on with him not taking me to… ...