The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous and powerful prayers in all Christianity. The prayer, also known as God Grant me the serenity, is one of the AA Prayers that is said at every meeting to help recovering alcoholics.
At the bottom of this page you will find a Prayer Request form. We invite you to post your personal prayer for serenity so that we can share in your prayers.
As Christians we yearn to trust in Gods ways, though it is not always easy. This is the ultimate prayer, asking God for a strong faith, understanding and happiness in daily life. Below is the complete, full text of this powerful prayer.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
How to Pray the Serenity Prayer
This is the perfect prayer to add to your Daily Devotions. Set aside a few minutes in the morning or in the evening to pray your devotions to God. Ask God for serenity on a daily basis using this prayer as your guide.
Some additional tips and exercises for praying this prayer:
1. Try to memorize the words to the prayer. Write it out on a post card and each day see how far you get before you need to reference the card.
2. Speak directly to God. Dont just blindly repeat the words youve memorized. You need to speak directly to Him and truly mean the words youre speaking.
3. After praying, write your reflections in a prayer journal. Over time youll be able to track your progress towards serenity and happiness.
AA Prayer History
God grant me the serenity became the default prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous in the early 1940s when a member spotted the prayer in the obituaries section of the newspaper.
The prayers focus on acceptance resonated with the group. Acceptance is central to AAs philosophy. Only once you accept yourself as you are, can you begin to change the things in your life that are within your power to change. Though life can be difficult, it is possible to change ones life for the better, one step at a time.
To read more about AA Prayers and the history of Alcoholics Anonymous, click here.
Variations of The Serenity Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is so popular that many variations of it have been composed. Here are a sampling of these altered versions. The authors of these are unknown.
The Pagan Serenity Prayer
Lord and Lady grant me the power of Water, to accept what I cannot change.
The power of Fire, for energy and courage to change the things that I can.
The power of Air, for the ability to know the difference.
Grant me the power of Earth, for the strength to know and walk my path.
Know Who You Can Change
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know its me.
The Serenity Prayer in Spanish
Dios, concedeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo combiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que peudo cambiar y la sabiduria para conocer la diferencia;
Viviendo un dia a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaria que fuera;
Creyendo qu Tu haras que todas las cosas esten bien si you me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo qu peuda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vide e increiblemente felize Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.
Do you know another variation? Post it below!
Bible Verses about Addiction
“Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”[Proverbs 20:1]
Check out what the bible has to say about peace with this collection of Bible Verses about Addiction.
Looking for a gift? Check out a collection of Serenity Prayer Jewelry.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "The Serenity Prayer"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Prayers for Anxiety – Find Strength and Serenity in Faith - In this chaotic world of spiritual warfare, may we look to the grace of God for faith to overcome anxiety. Read and pray with the… ...
- Need to find peace and calm - Please help me find peace and calm, and learn how to experience the stress around me without hurting or being afraid. Help me learn to… ...
- Family Peace and Love - Dear Sweet Jesus, I ask for your holy intercession. Come present in our family and stay with us, please Lord. We need you to untie… ...
- A prayer for strength - Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done. I pray to you through the name of your son, our Lord and… ...
- Prayer for the salvation of my family and community - I pray my entire bloodline gets to know and believe in Jesus and the Almighty God. I pray everyone suffering from unbelief gets cured right… ...
- Help with addiction - Please bring sobriety to me and free me from my alcohol addiction. ...
- Prayer for the chaos at work - Dear Farher, I pray that you would take all of the hurt and distrust happening at work right now and turn it into serenity. Please… ...
- Prayer for knowlege of God - God, grant me the serenity to endure the persecution from my chief, Vianne Marchese. Please send your Holy Spirit to strengthen me and to soften… ...
- Thank You Prayer - Lord thank you for all the blessings! Thank you for providing us with more than what we need. Lord, thank you remove all my anxiety… ...
- For greater faith - O Lord, convince me of your existence. Instill into my heart a shatterproof faith and belief in Jesus and Christianity. I pray to you regularly… ...
- Life challenges - I've lost too many close family members within last 5 yrs, spouse, mother and father. My Son is almost out of high school and I… ...
- God Guide Me - God please help me to keep helping your children, even when there are so many to help. In Jesus name AMEN. ...
- Enlighten me - Dear Lord, I humbly ask you to guide me through all the challenges of this world. Wherever I turn it seems evil is prevailing. Give… ...
- So weak in my prayer - I want to pray for my addiction on chemical dependency n also want to pray for my faith n will power to resist temptation. And… ...
- Prayer for direction - Please pray God will help me and my children and family and friends have joy and strength in him everyday and we will recognize it… ...
- A closer walk with GOD - Lord, I desire a closer walk with you. I pray for greater strength and purpose. The will to do what you need me to do. ...
- Fear & anxiety - Dear Lord Jesus, you know each morning I wake up with fear and anxiety of the day. I know this is not you and I… ...
- Help me to help me - God i just want to be happy in my life, help me to no what happiness is and that i find good people to coms… ...
- Overcoming anxiety - Dear Lord please be with me as I work toward overcoming my anxieties. My anxiety comes from a lack of true faith in you and… ...
- Guidance and Protection - I am a single mother of a 9 year old boy, and I would like to pray for protection from any negativity/ill intentions and evil… ...