These prayers for children have been taken from out-of-print prayer and clergy textbooks. Our prayer sections are a work in progress and we will continue to add more as time goes on.
These prayers are broken into sections. There are prayers for children in trouble, for sick children, for those who are angry or depressed, and short blessings for children.
If you have a prayer request for a child, add it at the bottom of this page.
Related: How to Teach Children About Prayer
“Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of God.”[Mark 10:13]
A Short Prayer for a Child
Strength and wholeness. I shall run and not be weary. I shall walk and not faintCome Gracious Spirit, Heavenly Dove,
With light and comfort from above.
Be Thou our Guardian, Thou our Guide,
Stay close by every child’s side. Amen!
Prayers for Children in Trouble
There are times in life when are children may stray from the Lord’s path. What follows are prayers for children who have lost their way, and need God’s guidance and blessings.
Dear Lord, you have witnessed the rebelliousness of youth since the very beginnings of time. You understand a parent’s anguish and helplessness over the actions of his child.
Please help us to transform our anger and frustration into loving care for our child who has gone astray. Help us begin to mend our broken fences and heal our broken hearts. Bless our child and also help him to mend the error of his ways. Help and bless us all to do right in Your name and restore us to peace and tranquility.
“Forgive the rebellious sins of youth …”[Psalm 25:7]
Child of The Light
Blessed is the Child of Light
Who doth seek his heavenly Father
For he shall have eternal life.
He that dwelleth in the secret place
Of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty.
For he shall give his Angels charge over thee
To keep thee in all thy ways.
Know ye that the Lord hath been
Our dwelling place
In all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever he had formed
The earth and the world
Even from everlasting to everlasting,
Hath there been love
Between the Heavenly Father
And his children.
And how shall this love be severed?
From the beginning
Until the ending of time
Doth the holy flame of love
Encircle the heads
Of the Heavenly Father
And the Children of Light:
How then shall this love be extinguished?
For not as a candle doth it burn,
Nor yet as a fire raging in the forest.
Lo, it burneth with the flame
Of Eternal Light,
And that flame cannot be consumed.
From the Essene Gospel of Jesus
Read our Prayers for Purity.
Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
Here is another prayer found in an out-of-print prayer book for a child that is upset or facing a difficult situation.
My Greatest Gift
Heavenly Father, my child is your greatest gift,
and my biggest challenge!
I know my child is truly distressed,
and yet I am at my wit’s end to find a peaceful resolution.
I feel helpless and frustrated.
I ask myself, What would my Heavenly Father
do in His infinite wisdom and beneficence?
Lord, come into my heart and mind,
and share Your loving wisdom with me!
Help my child to heal his pain, and help me
to become as loving and wise a parent, as You are for us
Your children. Thank You Lord, for
hearing me and coming to my aid! Bring your loving Peace to me and my child today.
The Kingdom of the Heavenly Father
My children, do you know that the Earth
And all that dwells therein
Is but a reflection of the
Kingdom of the Heavenly Father?
And as you are suckled and comforted
By your mother when a child,
But you go to join your father in the fields
When you grow up,
So do the Angels of the Earthly Mother
Guide your steps
Toward him who is your Father,
And all his holy Angels,
That you may know your true home
And become true Sons of God.
While we are children,
We will see the rays of the sun,
But not the Power which created it;
While we are children,
We will hear the sounds of the flowing brook,
But not the Love which created it;
While we are children,
We will see the stars,
But not the hand which scatters them
Through the sky,
As the farmer scatters the seed.
Only through the Communions
With the Angels of the Heavenly Father,
Will we learn to see the unseen,
To hear that which cannot be heard,
And to speak the unspoken word.
Prayers for sick children
There are few things in life that are more difficult than dealing with a sick child. As a parent, our children’s wellbeing is what we care about most in the world.
The following are prayers for children dealing with an illness.
Bring Healing to Our Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children,
Bring healing to our child who is not well.
Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time.
Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence
Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also.
Thank You for hearing our prayer!
Restore My Child to Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child [child’s name].
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child [child’s name] to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child [child’s name], and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Read more Prayers for Healing Here.
Prayers for Children to Learn
These are good introductory prayers for children to learn. They are relatively short and they also rhyme making them easy to remember and easy to say.
They can be said in the morning or before bed.
Come Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, come
Let thy bright beams arise,
Dispel the darkness from our minds,
And open all our eyes.
Revive our drooping faith,
Our doubts and fears remove,
And kindle in our breasts the flame
Of everlasting Love. Amen!
A Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, I awake and see your light,
For You have kept me through the night,
To You I lift my hands and pray,
Keep me from sin throughout this day,
And if I die before it’s done,
Save me through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Look Upon a Little Child Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, look upon a little child,
By nature sinful, weak and wild;
O lay Thy gracious hands on me,
And make me all I ought to be.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity
Suffer me to come to Thee.
O supply my every want
Feed this young and tender plant
Day and night my keeper be,
And every moment watch round me. Amen!
Related: The 5 Best Bible Stories for Kids
Bible Verses About Children
Click here to read more Bible Verses About Children
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.”[Psalm 127:3-5]
Also, we have a great collection of simple Bible Verses for Children to Memorize.
More Prayers for Children
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Prayers for Children"/>
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Return my children back home to me as soon as possible please - CPS took my children the day my 2 months old died from SIDS please Jesus christ, God, lord, almighty and our father who are in… ...
- Prayer for my children and family - Dear Lord We seek for your forgiveness. Please pray for my son David as he seem to be in lost direction. Pray for your merciful… ...
- Prayer for My Grandson Emery - Well, he's not really my child. Emery is my grandson. Please pray for him. He was in a car accident. The air bag exploded and… ...
- School - My daughter is starting a new school this year. She has disabilities so school isn’t easy for her. She also attends a public school. We… ...
- Help my son - Please pray for my son E.L pray that he will be able to move to a better cheaper place to live with his dtr and… ...
- Lost son - Father God I pray for my son to find his way. He's living in a very dark world right now. I pray for me to… ...
- Strength - lord, please help and guide my children back on the right path be responsible not drink or do drugs. Im si depressed George is stalling… ...
- Guidance - Our daughter seems to have gone astray from her commitment in her studies and has been disobedient.We pray that she can come to her senses… ...
- A miracle child - Please Saint Jude help Gina to be able to have a child.She wants more than anything in this world to be a mother. She has… ...
- In desperate need of prayer - Please pray for me. I have three grown girls. The oldest I talk to and I am close too. The other two are still very… ...
- My Daughter Nicole and Granddaughter Unique - Please pray for my daughter Nicole and hey husband Walter. Their marriage. Parenting. Unique my g/d. She had back surgery a year ago and everyone… ...
- Handing my fears to God - Lord I want to ask for forgiveness for my sin. I also want to hand all my fears and more specific my children's health in… ...
- Repentance and deliverance - I have a granddaughter with a baby boy that is in a bad relationship. I am praying for her to be delivered out of the… ...
- Peace - Dear God, hear my prayer there is miscommunication my granddaughter talks to me about fear of racism in her home. She tried to talk to… ...
- Peace for my grandson - I pray for peace for my grandson. I ask that his brain will function and allow him to focus and that he will have peace… ...
- A mother’s prayer - My daughter has been ill for over four months. They have ruled out many symptoms thru various tests. We are thankful for negative results!! She… ...
- Protection and healing - I request prayer for protection of my children, grandchildren, relations and extended family members children against the spirit of Halloween. I also pray that Jesus… ...
- Family - Pray for my grandson Deanthony That he finds peace against the enemy that is trying to come against him, in his unforeseen circumstance, that the… ...
- Helping Nathan Coombs accomplishing his goals in life - Dear God please bless Nathan, my beautiful son to accomplish his goals in life. Guide Nathan to your will, give him wisdom, knowledge and understanding… ...
- To have kids - I pray that God bless me with children ,mau he remember me as he remembered Sarah,Rachel,etc ,may he make my home a happy home. i… ...