These prayers for children have been taken from out-of-print prayer and clergy textbooks. Our prayer sections are a work in progress and we will continue to add more as time goes on.
These prayers are broken into sections. There are prayers for children in trouble, for sick children, for those who are angry or depressed, and short blessings for children.
If you have a prayer request for a child, add it at the bottom of this page.
Related: How to Teach Children About Prayer
“Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of God.”[Mark 10:13]
A Short Prayer for a Child
Strength and wholeness. I shall run and not be weary. I shall walk and not faintCome Gracious Spirit, Heavenly Dove,
With light and comfort from above.
Be Thou our Guardian, Thou our Guide,
Stay close by every child’s side. Amen!
Prayers for Children in Trouble
There are times in life when are children may stray from the Lord’s path. What follows are prayers for children who have lost their way, and need God’s guidance and blessings.
Dear Lord, you have witnessed the rebelliousness of youth since the very beginnings of time. You understand a parent’s anguish and helplessness over the actions of his child.
Please help us to transform our anger and frustration into loving care for our child who has gone astray. Help us begin to mend our broken fences and heal our broken hearts. Bless our child and also help him to mend the error of his ways. Help and bless us all to do right in Your name and restore us to peace and tranquility.
“Forgive the rebellious sins of youth …”[Psalm 25:7]
Child of The Light
Blessed is the Child of Light
Who doth seek his heavenly Father
For he shall have eternal life.
He that dwelleth in the secret place
Of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty.
For he shall give his Angels charge over thee
To keep thee in all thy ways.
Know ye that the Lord hath been
Our dwelling place
In all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever he had formed
The earth and the world
Even from everlasting to everlasting,
Hath there been love
Between the Heavenly Father
And his children.
And how shall this love be severed?
From the beginning
Until the ending of time
Doth the holy flame of love
Encircle the heads
Of the Heavenly Father
And the Children of Light:
How then shall this love be extinguished?
For not as a candle doth it burn,
Nor yet as a fire raging in the forest.
Lo, it burneth with the flame
Of Eternal Light,
And that flame cannot be consumed.
From the Essene Gospel of Jesus
Read our Prayers for Purity.
Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
Here is another prayer found in an out-of-print prayer book for a child that is upset or facing a difficult situation.
My Greatest Gift
Heavenly Father, my child is your greatest gift,
and my biggest challenge!
I know my child is truly distressed,
and yet I am at my wit’s end to find a peaceful resolution.
I feel helpless and frustrated.
I ask myself, What would my Heavenly Father
do in His infinite wisdom and beneficence?
Lord, come into my heart and mind,
and share Your loving wisdom with me!
Help my child to heal his pain, and help me
to become as loving and wise a parent, as You are for us
Your children. Thank You Lord, for
hearing me and coming to my aid! Bring your loving Peace to me and my child today.
The Kingdom of the Heavenly Father
My children, do you know that the Earth
And all that dwells therein
Is but a reflection of the
Kingdom of the Heavenly Father?
And as you are suckled and comforted
By your mother when a child,
But you go to join your father in the fields
When you grow up,
So do the Angels of the Earthly Mother
Guide your steps
Toward him who is your Father,
And all his holy Angels,
That you may know your true home
And become true Sons of God.
While we are children,
We will see the rays of the sun,
But not the Power which created it;
While we are children,
We will hear the sounds of the flowing brook,
But not the Love which created it;
While we are children,
We will see the stars,
But not the hand which scatters them
Through the sky,
As the farmer scatters the seed.
Only through the Communions
With the Angels of the Heavenly Father,
Will we learn to see the unseen,
To hear that which cannot be heard,
And to speak the unspoken word.
Prayers for sick children
There are few things in life that are more difficult than dealing with a sick child. As a parent, our children’s wellbeing is what we care about most in the world.
The following are prayers for children dealing with an illness.
Bring Healing to Our Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children,
Bring healing to our child who is not well.
Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time.
Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence
Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also.
Thank You for hearing our prayer!
Restore My Child to Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child [child’s name].
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child [child’s name] to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child [child’s name], and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Read more Prayers for Healing Here.
Prayers for Children to Learn
These are good introductory prayers for children to learn. They are relatively short and they also rhyme making them easy to remember and easy to say.
They can be said in the morning or before bed.
Come Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, come
Let thy bright beams arise,
Dispel the darkness from our minds,
And open all our eyes.
Revive our drooping faith,
Our doubts and fears remove,
And kindle in our breasts the flame
Of everlasting Love. Amen!
A Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, I awake and see your light,
For You have kept me through the night,
To You I lift my hands and pray,
Keep me from sin throughout this day,
And if I die before it’s done,
Save me through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Look Upon a Little Child Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, look upon a little child,
By nature sinful, weak and wild;
O lay Thy gracious hands on me,
And make me all I ought to be.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity
Suffer me to come to Thee.
O supply my every want
Feed this young and tender plant
Day and night my keeper be,
And every moment watch round me. Amen!
Related: The 5 Best Bible Stories for Kids
Bible Verses About Children
Click here to read more Bible Verses About Children
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.”[Psalm 127:3-5]
Also, we have a great collection of simple Bible Verses for Children to Memorize.
More Prayers for Children
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Prayers for Children"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Custody. Guidance and Wisdom- Going through custody battle where mother of child is preventing me from seeing my son. I need wisdom & guidance. Keep me from getting ahead… ...
- Prayer for my son John who is suffering from skin diseases- Dear Lord, please help to heal my son from having serious skin diseases . And which started to spread all around his body. I have… ...
- Keep my son’s out of trouble and drugs- Please Lord help my sons not to be on drugs guide them to the right bath .Lord bless them everyday so they can be happy… ...
- Me and my baby- 20 weeks pregnant currently in the hospital with complications and just praying that everything works out and I am able to go on to deliver… ...
- My son an truency court- Please pray for my son chandler an I as we face a case against us by others out of evil spite from past issues they… ...
- Prodigal children- Please pray for Julie and Nicola that God would through His Holy Spirit save them and teach them to worship God and serve Him in… ...
- Salvation and deliverance- Prayer for my daughter Kyrah who is suicidal. She needs deliverance from the spirit of lesbianism. Smoking cannibas and cigaretts, and depression. She is not… ...
- Financing healing- Please pray for a touch of healing from the lord on our finances family and marriage praise God for 2hat hes going to do ...
- Baptized- Dear Lord, I pray that all three of my teenage sons will accept you as their Lord and Savior and make a public commitment to… ...
- Household Saved- I would like prayer for my son & 2 daughters, their partners and their children please. Lawrence & Michael (F) Rashid & Letitia Thomas &… ...
- Getting my son walk again- My son went to school on the 23 of November,came back with fractured tigh and pelvic dislocation, according to the teachers a student in class… ...
- My daughters your daughters- I want say thank you God for performing miracles with my beautiful daughters. I want to implore you the purpose that they have in this… ...
- Grade correction for my son- Please pray that my son's grade will be corrected to A+. It was a really important test that determines his school career. He possibly made… ...
- Health- My kids get often sick.now last week my son had typhoid ..now he is recovering. Now my daughter 9 month having fever and loosemotion....always one… ...
- Health- Please pray for my children's health, that the sickness will leave our house, and pray for my mental health so that I can be strong… ...
- My son’s salvation- Please pray for my son, he is very lost and angry since his father died of cancer four years ago. Thank you. ...
- Deliverance/Healing- Please pray that God moves everybody out of my son live that should not be there. The enemy is trying to pull him back into… ...
- My daughter is being bullied- My nine year old daughter is being bullied at school and talks about feeling lonely and isolated at break time and at lunch. She says… ...
- Relief from worry and anxiety about my child- Thank you for your prayers and your website. I have a son who I love dearly, 18 years old, who is giving in to peer… ...
- Please pray for protection and deliverance from evil- Please pray for protection and deliverance from evil, for all my nephews. pray that God's will always be done with their lives, for them to… ...