These prayers for children have been taken from out-of-print prayer and clergy textbooks. Our prayer sections are a work in progress and we will continue to add more as time goes on.
These prayers are broken into sections. There are prayers for children in trouble, for sick children, for those who are angry or depressed, and short blessings for children.
If you have a prayer request for a child, add it at the bottom of this page.
Related: How to Teach Children About Prayer
“Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of God.”[Mark 10:13]
A Short Prayer for a Child
Strength and wholeness. I shall run and not be weary. I shall walk and not faintCome Gracious Spirit, Heavenly Dove,
With light and comfort from above.
Be Thou our Guardian, Thou our Guide,
Stay close by every child’s side. Amen!
Prayers for Children in Trouble
There are times in life when are children may stray from the Lord’s path. What follows are prayers for children who have lost their way, and need God’s guidance and blessings.
Dear Lord, you have witnessed the rebelliousness of youth since the very beginnings of time. You understand a parent’s anguish and helplessness over the actions of his child.
Please help us to transform our anger and frustration into loving care for our child who has gone astray. Help us begin to mend our broken fences and heal our broken hearts. Bless our child and also help him to mend the error of his ways. Help and bless us all to do right in Your name and restore us to peace and tranquility.
“Forgive the rebellious sins of youth …”[Psalm 25:7]
Child of The Light
Blessed is the Child of Light
Who doth seek his heavenly Father
For he shall have eternal life.
He that dwelleth in the secret place
Of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty.
For he shall give his Angels charge over thee
To keep thee in all thy ways.
Know ye that the Lord hath been
Our dwelling place
In all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever he had formed
The earth and the world
Even from everlasting to everlasting,
Hath there been love
Between the Heavenly Father
And his children.
And how shall this love be severed?
From the beginning
Until the ending of time
Doth the holy flame of love
Encircle the heads
Of the Heavenly Father
And the Children of Light:
How then shall this love be extinguished?
For not as a candle doth it burn,
Nor yet as a fire raging in the forest.
Lo, it burneth with the flame
Of Eternal Light,
And that flame cannot be consumed.
From the Essene Gospel of Jesus
Read our Prayers for Purity.
Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
Here is another prayer found in an out-of-print prayer book for a child that is upset or facing a difficult situation.
My Greatest Gift
Heavenly Father, my child is your greatest gift,
and my biggest challenge!
I know my child is truly distressed,
and yet I am at my wit’s end to find a peaceful resolution.
I feel helpless and frustrated.
I ask myself, What would my Heavenly Father
do in His infinite wisdom and beneficence?
Lord, come into my heart and mind,
and share Your loving wisdom with me!
Help my child to heal his pain, and help me
to become as loving and wise a parent, as You are for us
Your children. Thank You Lord, for
hearing me and coming to my aid! Bring your loving Peace to me and my child today.
The Kingdom of the Heavenly Father
My children, do you know that the Earth
And all that dwells therein
Is but a reflection of the
Kingdom of the Heavenly Father?
And as you are suckled and comforted
By your mother when a child,
But you go to join your father in the fields
When you grow up,
So do the Angels of the Earthly Mother
Guide your steps
Toward him who is your Father,
And all his holy Angels,
That you may know your true home
And become true Sons of God.
While we are children,
We will see the rays of the sun,
But not the Power which created it;
While we are children,
We will hear the sounds of the flowing brook,
But not the Love which created it;
While we are children,
We will see the stars,
But not the hand which scatters them
Through the sky,
As the farmer scatters the seed.
Only through the Communions
With the Angels of the Heavenly Father,
Will we learn to see the unseen,
To hear that which cannot be heard,
And to speak the unspoken word.
Prayers for sick children
There are few things in life that are more difficult than dealing with a sick child. As a parent, our children’s wellbeing is what we care about most in the world.
The following are prayers for children dealing with an illness.
Bring Healing to Our Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children,
Bring healing to our child who is not well.
Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time.
Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence
Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also.
Thank You for hearing our prayer!
Restore My Child to Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child [child’s name].
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child [child’s name] to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child [child’s name], and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Read more Prayers for Healing Here.
Prayers for Children to Learn
These are good introductory prayers for children to learn. They are relatively short and they also rhyme making them easy to remember and easy to say.
They can be said in the morning or before bed.
Come Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, come
Let thy bright beams arise,
Dispel the darkness from our minds,
And open all our eyes.
Revive our drooping faith,
Our doubts and fears remove,
And kindle in our breasts the flame
Of everlasting Love. Amen!
A Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, I awake and see your light,
For You have kept me through the night,
To You I lift my hands and pray,
Keep me from sin throughout this day,
And if I die before it’s done,
Save me through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Look Upon a Little Child Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, look upon a little child,
By nature sinful, weak and wild;
O lay Thy gracious hands on me,
And make me all I ought to be.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity
Suffer me to come to Thee.
O supply my every want
Feed this young and tender plant
Day and night my keeper be,
And every moment watch round me. Amen!
Related: The 5 Best Bible Stories for Kids
Bible Verses About Children
Click here to read more Bible Verses About Children
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.”[Psalm 127:3-5]
Also, we have a great collection of simple Bible Verses for Children to Memorize.
More Prayers for Children
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Prayers for Children"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Our Baby - We are almost 14 weeks pregnant with a very beloved and wanted baby. I have prayed from the beginning daily for our baby, pregnancy and… ...
- Seeking Divine Help - Dear heavenly Father I call on your holy name for divine help with my son's academic life. I ask you through your position as Lord… ...
- Lord guide me to be a better mother for all 3 of my children - Dear lord, I ask for you to bring my kids back home. I’m working on myself to give them the best of me & a… ...
- Strength - Praying for strength for my family as we are going through a transition of our child starting a new school. She is not doing well… ...
- My children - My children struggle to get closer to God. May our pur lord and savior make his presence in them. May th hey know that they… ...
- Restoration - Restoration in my family, house, finances, My prodigal sons Richard, Justin, daughter Janae that they return home back to our LORD first and foremost for… ...
- Drowning in fear - I will admit I was angry at God yesterday when I had to watch my daughters world crumble around her and saw her drowning not… ...
- Blood disease maybe cancer - I come to you today for my precious granddaughter who is 6 years old . She needs healing prayers over her . She has low… ...
- Protection - Please pray that God will cover my sons Trevor and Trenton while they are in school. Please cover them in your blood. Protect them from… ...
- Help to ring him home - Father I come before you for prayers to help my daughter bring her young son home from his dad’s house who has him going in… ...
- Pray for my daughter - My daughter is diagnosed with utism spectrum and we as a family are deeply broken since she is our oy child. A child given to… ...
- A Prayer For Our Kids - Dear Heavenly Father, We come to you as humbled as we know asking that you would protect, guard, and sent your Angels to watch over… ...
- Mental Breakdown - I'm struggling with how to Express myself my concerns and issues. Trying to help where help isn't wanted but most definitely needed my children doesn't… ...
- Family needs the Lird - Father God in the name of Jesus amazing you to cover John John the night dear God cover Hassan let no weapons formed against him… ...
- Return to her family - Father God I pray in the mighty name of Jesus, by his stripes for my daughter to open her eyes and see the control of… ...
- Prayer for strength and guidance - My daughter is going through a very abusive relationship mentally and need prayers for strength and HIS guidance during this time. The abuser almost seems… ...
- Baby - Lots of years ago I took the morning after pill a few times A few months ago I joined a few anti abortion groups in… ...
- My daughter - Heavenly Father, Thank you for your love and grace. Thank you for giving me my wonderful daughter. I don’t deserve such a wonderful blessing. Lord… ...
- Love and Protection for College Freshman - Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for the blessings of children and college! I am so thankful that my last baby is going off to college… ...
- Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus - Shoulder Wound of Jesus Christ Can be said once for serious emergencies, NEVER known to fail… Oh loving Jesus, meek lamb of God, I a… ...