Below is a collection of Funeral prayers that can be said before, during, or after a funeral ceremony or wake. It’s important to remember and cherish those who have passes with sacred blessings.
A funeral prayer should be comforting. Death is an uncomfortable time, but their is comfort in knowing that the deceased is now with God.
Oh Father of Mercies
Oh Father of mercies, and God of all comfort,
Thou hast often invited us to thyself in kindness.
It manifests our depravity that we think of Thee so little
In our hour of ease and prosperity!
But we are now before Thee in affliction and distress.
Yet we rejoice to know that Thou art a very present and an
All-sufficient help in trouble.
The Trifles of Time
O let not the trifles of time
induce us to neglect the one thing
needful. While each of us is
compelled to say, I know Thou
wilt bring me to death, and to
the house appointed for all
living, may we be enabled also
to say, I know in whom I have
believed, and am persuaded that
He is able to keep that which
I have committed to Him against
And let not the solemnities we have
this day witnessed be ever
forgotten; for often our most
serious impressions have worn
off, and our goodness has been
as the morning cloud, and as
early dew that soon passeth away.
Meditation on Death and Dying
May we hear thy voice in Thy rod, as well as in Thy word;
And gathering from the corrections with which we are
Exercised the peaceable fruit of righteousness, be able to
Acknowledge, with all our suffering brethren before us.
Now in our grief, we are ever mindful of Thee, and we
Humbly request Thy blessing, not just for our brethren
Who have gone to Thy side, but for ourselves, that we
Need not suffer such loss to remain ever mindful of Thee!
It is not only the Scripture that reminds us of our living in
A dying world, but all observation and experience.
Man is continually going to his long home, and the mourners
Daily go about the streets. And we are all accomplishing
As hirelings our day, and in a little time our neighbors,
Friends, and relations will seek us ” and we shall not be.
Thou hast made our days as a hands breadth,
And our age is as nothing before Thee; verily every man at
His best estate is altogether vanity.
Suffer Us Not, At Our Last Hour
For our days are not only few; but full of evil. Anxieties
perplex us; dangers alarm us; infirmities oppress us;
disappointments afflict us; losses impoverish us;
And we fear Thine anger and Thine wrath.
O shut not Thy merciful ear to our prayers, but spare us,
O most Holy Lord; O God, most mighty;
O holy and most merciful Savior; Thou most worthy judge
Suffer us not, at our last hour, for any bitter pains
of death, to fall from Thee. And we beseech Thee O Lord
To receive with mercy unto Thine arms the soul of our dear
departed brethren today, that we may rejoice in their life
And honor their passing to Thy eternal care.
Thou Takest Away
Thou takest away, and who can hinder Thee, or say unto Thee
“What doest Thou?” Thou hast a right to do what Thou
wilt with Thine own.
Thou art a sovereign and the reasons of Thy conduct are often
far above, out of our sight. But Thy work is perfect, Thy
ways are judgment.
All Thy dispensations are wise, and righteous, and kind —
Even when they seem to be severe, as in this time of grief.
We acknowledge O God, with shame and sorrow, that the
state of degradation and mortality in which we groan was not
our original condition. Thou madest man upright, but he
sought out many inventions. Our first Father sinned, and we
have borne his iniquity. By one man sin entered into the
world, And death by sin; and so death hath passed upon all
men, for that all have sinned.
And we bless Thee that this is not our final state. By the
discoveries of faith, we see new heavens, and a new earth
wherein dwelleth righteousness. We see the spirits of just
men made perfect. We see our vile bodies changed and
fashioned like the Saviors own glorious body; and man,
the sinner, raised above the angels, who never sinned.
We bless Thee for this purpose of grace, formed before the
world began, and accomplished in the fullness of time
by the Son of Thy love, who hath abolished death, and
brought life and immortality to light by the gospel; and
who among the ravages of the grave, says, “I am the
Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though
He were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and
believeth in me shall never die.
May it be our immediate and supreme concern to win Christ,
and be found in Him; knowing that there is no condemnation
to them that are in Christ Jesus; and that blessed are the
dead that die in the Lord.
So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts
unto wisdom ” that wisdom which will lead us to prefer the
uoul to the body; and eternity to time; that wisdom which
will lead us to secure an interest in a better world, before
we are removed from this one.
Scripture for Funerals
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Click here to read more Bible Verses for Funerals
If you have any funeral prayers you’d like to share, please do so below. Also, feel free to submit a prayer request. That way, the whole Prayers for Special Help community can help pray for your loved one.
God Bless, you have our sympathy.
More Prayers for Strength
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Funeral Prayers"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Comfort - Praying for my co-worker sudden loss of her Mom I'm asking the God of comfort to be with her and her family doring their time… ...
- Pray for the eternal soul of Lynnyrd - Please pray for the soul of Lynnyrd who has left us on Christmas day. May our good Lord accept Lynnyrd's soul in heaven. May she… ...
- Strength - Tommy passed today. Prayers for wife Teresa and family. Thank you ...
- Strength - Tommy passed today. Prayers for wife Teresa and family. Thank you ...
- Pray for Strength - Please pray for my daughter who lost her boyfriend...also his family. Her grieving is unbearable. She is at a total loss. Pray for strength to… ...
- Strength - Dear LORD, As I prepare to say goodbye to my grandson, Father please cover me with Your arms and guide me in how to do… ...
- Saying goodbye to my mom - My mom died December 13 unexpectedly I was able to spend 36 hours with her before she died My heart is broken Peter her other… ...
- Loss of husband - Despite fervent prayers and a firm belief in God’s Will to heal my husband due to the after affects of covid, being on a ventilator,… ...
- Prayer for David - I pray to our Lord that my Beloved David is with Him and the Angels in Heaven - he left us three months ago tomorrow.… ...
- Family struggles - Please pray for My Family as we struggle through relationships after a loss of our brother.thank you so much. ...
- For strength - Giving honor to God, whom I choose to guide my life. I’m asking for prayer for strength and learning how to trust God in all… ...
- Lost Dad and Brother on July 1 and August 13 this year. . So broken and feel like my security blanket is gone. - Please give me the strength to not only be OK with their death, and be strong for my family. ...
- Need to hear from God - Just lost my grandson to a hanging. His girlfriend saids he hung himself. The police say it looks like foul play. The corner saids, it… ...
- Mourning for my son - Is it wrong for me to want to hear from my deceased son somehow . Just need to know he’s happy. He accepted the lord… ...
- Death and Funeral - Lord Jesus, I pray the celebration of life you turn this depression to a holiday celebrating life of dead people. let them change coming out… ...
- Prayer for a friend - Sister’s and brother’s can you stand in agreement with me for a friend she just lost her 14 year old son Tragically a few days… ...
- Lost - I lost my best friend here on earth my husband in January to COVID-19. We have been friends for years we would have celebrated our… ...
- Grieving children - My children will attend the funeral of their father today. My daughter Isabella is 19 and my son Kieran is 22. Their father died of… ...
- Grief - Today we buried the body of my mother Nellie. Me and my siblings are suffering immensely with her sudden death. We are blaming ourselves even… ...
- Comfort thru the difficult times - Heavenly Father , thank you for another day another opportunity to live for you. Thank you for never giving up on me even when I… ...