Below is a collection of Funeral prayers that can be said before, during, or after a funeral ceremony or wake. It’s important to remember and cherish those who have passes with sacred blessings.
A funeral prayer should be comforting. Death is an uncomfortable time, but their is comfort in knowing that the deceased is now with God.
Oh Father of Mercies
Oh Father of mercies, and God of all comfort,
Thou hast often invited us to thyself in kindness.
It manifests our depravity that we think of Thee so little
In our hour of ease and prosperity!
But we are now before Thee in affliction and distress.
Yet we rejoice to know that Thou art a very present and an
All-sufficient help in trouble.
The Trifles of Time
O let not the trifles of time
induce us to neglect the one thing
needful. While each of us is
compelled to say, I know Thou
wilt bring me to death, and to
the house appointed for all
living, may we be enabled also
to say, I know in whom I have
believed, and am persuaded that
He is able to keep that which
I have committed to Him against
And let not the solemnities we have
this day witnessed be ever
forgotten; for often our most
serious impressions have worn
off, and our goodness has been
as the morning cloud, and as
early dew that soon passeth away.
Meditation on Death and Dying
May we hear thy voice in Thy rod, as well as in Thy word;
And gathering from the corrections with which we are
Exercised the peaceable fruit of righteousness, be able to
Acknowledge, with all our suffering brethren before us.
Now in our grief, we are ever mindful of Thee, and we
Humbly request Thy blessing, not just for our brethren
Who have gone to Thy side, but for ourselves, that we
Need not suffer such loss to remain ever mindful of Thee!
It is not only the Scripture that reminds us of our living in
A dying world, but all observation and experience.
Man is continually going to his long home, and the mourners
Daily go about the streets. And we are all accomplishing
As hirelings our day, and in a little time our neighbors,
Friends, and relations will seek us ” and we shall not be.
Thou hast made our days as a hands breadth,
And our age is as nothing before Thee; verily every man at
His best estate is altogether vanity.
Suffer Us Not, At Our Last Hour
For our days are not only few; but full of evil. Anxieties
perplex us; dangers alarm us; infirmities oppress us;
disappointments afflict us; losses impoverish us;
And we fear Thine anger and Thine wrath.
O shut not Thy merciful ear to our prayers, but spare us,
O most Holy Lord; O God, most mighty;
O holy and most merciful Savior; Thou most worthy judge
Suffer us not, at our last hour, for any bitter pains
of death, to fall from Thee. And we beseech Thee O Lord
To receive with mercy unto Thine arms the soul of our dear
departed brethren today, that we may rejoice in their life
And honor their passing to Thy eternal care.
Thou Takest Away
Thou takest away, and who can hinder Thee, or say unto Thee
“What doest Thou?” Thou hast a right to do what Thou
wilt with Thine own.
Thou art a sovereign and the reasons of Thy conduct are often
far above, out of our sight. But Thy work is perfect, Thy
ways are judgment.
All Thy dispensations are wise, and righteous, and kind —
Even when they seem to be severe, as in this time of grief.
We acknowledge O God, with shame and sorrow, that the
state of degradation and mortality in which we groan was not
our original condition. Thou madest man upright, but he
sought out many inventions. Our first Father sinned, and we
have borne his iniquity. By one man sin entered into the
world, And death by sin; and so death hath passed upon all
men, for that all have sinned.
And we bless Thee that this is not our final state. By the
discoveries of faith, we see new heavens, and a new earth
wherein dwelleth righteousness. We see the spirits of just
men made perfect. We see our vile bodies changed and
fashioned like the Saviors own glorious body; and man,
the sinner, raised above the angels, who never sinned.
We bless Thee for this purpose of grace, formed before the
world began, and accomplished in the fullness of time
by the Son of Thy love, who hath abolished death, and
brought life and immortality to light by the gospel; and
who among the ravages of the grave, says, “I am the
Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though
He were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and
believeth in me shall never die.
May it be our immediate and supreme concern to win Christ,
and be found in Him; knowing that there is no condemnation
to them that are in Christ Jesus; and that blessed are the
dead that die in the Lord.
So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts
unto wisdom ” that wisdom which will lead us to prefer the
uoul to the body; and eternity to time; that wisdom which
will lead us to secure an interest in a better world, before
we are removed from this one.
Scripture for Funerals
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Click here to read more Bible Verses for Funerals
If you have any funeral prayers you’d like to share, please do so below. Also, feel free to submit a prayer request. That way, the whole Prayers for Special Help community can help pray for your loved one.
God Bless, you have our sympathy.
More Prayers for Strength
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Funeral Prayers"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- prayrs due to a death of my fiancee - Friday the 13 my fiancee Sara K. Cadiere, due to lack of. oxygen to the brain , she had stopped breathing I had to give… ...
- John Jones - My brother passed away on Sunday, March 8th. He was 38 years old. My brother and sister are suffering tremendously. I am struggling with guilt… ...
- Petition to st Joseph - I had permission to pray this request: I ask your prayers to st Joseph, spouse of the blessed Virgin Mary and putative father of our… ...
- Home coming - Heavenly Father I Thank you for my mother. I never felt so love and so grateful to give back love. Lord Jesus thank you for… ...
- Stressed - My father past away January 13 I’m the oldest of 4 children and left to do everything my sister didn’t even come for his service… ...
- Death - Heavenly Father my mom has shut down and I know she is slowly coming to you. For you said absent from the body but present… ...
- Heaven without me dying - Please pray for me to go to heaven without me dying tonight. If God wants me to trust him, then God should grant my prayer… ...
- A prayer for me Somaliona Karakushi.Amen. - In the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit.Amen. We are Thine, and Thine we wish to be; but,… ...
- Healing and Comfort - Father God, I come before you empty and broken because I lost my grandpa on yesterday. Lord please give me strength to be strong for… ...
- A Husband’s Love - Please pray for my father who is suffering the harshest of griefs, as we lost our beautiful mother on December 30 of this year. She… ...
- Loss of child - Hello, thank you for taking the time to pray for everyone! I ask prayer for my sister, she had my nephew Jan 2nd 2020 (stillbirth).… ...
- Lucille Dancer - Dear God I pray that my mom has more life insurance so we her family won't have to cremate her I pray lord for a… ...
- Help me to live without my husband - O Lord help me to face a life without my husband, Al. ...
- A Prayer for Those Mourning Loss this Winter - God is our shelter and our strength, When troubles seem near, God is nearer, and He’s ready to help. We know that every life is… ...
- God’s Touch - On the 24th of November l lost my brother it was a sudden death tho suicidal my heart was broken l thought of going to… ...
- Prayer for God’s grace and mercy - My Dad passed away and will be buried 2nd of January, 2020. Pray for my family that the mercies and grace of God will drown… ...
- How can I live without you - Please pray for me because I just lost my husband a few months ago. I feel like I’m just existing now!! I’m so lonely and… ...
- Fertility - My daughter is 34 years old a registered nurse and wanted children. Is dating someone in another country who doesn't seems to make up his… ...
- Family in mourning - Our dear mother passed away this past Tuesday and we don't have the finances to have her a proper burial. So we're taking donations to… ...
- My precious sister took her life - Dear Lord, please help me with my deeply saddened and broken heart. My sister and I were so very very close and loved Aeschylus other… ...