Below is a collection of Funeral prayers that can be said before, during, or after a funeral ceremony or wake. It’s important to remember and cherish those who have passes with sacred blessings.
A funeral prayer should be comforting. Death is an uncomfortable time, but their is comfort in knowing that the deceased is now with God.
Oh Father of Mercies
Oh Father of mercies, and God of all comfort,
Thou hast often invited us to thyself in kindness.
It manifests our depravity that we think of Thee so little
In our hour of ease and prosperity!
But we are now before Thee in affliction and distress.
Yet we rejoice to know that Thou art a very present and an
All-sufficient help in trouble.
The Trifles of Time
O let not the trifles of time
induce us to neglect the one thing
needful. While each of us is
compelled to say, I know Thou
wilt bring me to death, and to
the house appointed for all
living, may we be enabled also
to say, I know in whom I have
believed, and am persuaded that
He is able to keep that which
I have committed to Him against
And let not the solemnities we have
this day witnessed be ever
forgotten; for often our most
serious impressions have worn
off, and our goodness has been
as the morning cloud, and as
early dew that soon passeth away.
Meditation on Death and Dying
May we hear thy voice in Thy rod, as well as in Thy word;
And gathering from the corrections with which we are
Exercised the peaceable fruit of righteousness, be able to
Acknowledge, with all our suffering brethren before us.
Now in our grief, we are ever mindful of Thee, and we
Humbly request Thy blessing, not just for our brethren
Who have gone to Thy side, but for ourselves, that we
Need not suffer such loss to remain ever mindful of Thee!
It is not only the Scripture that reminds us of our living in
A dying world, but all observation and experience.
Man is continually going to his long home, and the mourners
Daily go about the streets. And we are all accomplishing
As hirelings our day, and in a little time our neighbors,
Friends, and relations will seek us ” and we shall not be.
Thou hast made our days as a hands breadth,
And our age is as nothing before Thee; verily every man at
His best estate is altogether vanity.
Suffer Us Not, At Our Last Hour
For our days are not only few; but full of evil. Anxieties
perplex us; dangers alarm us; infirmities oppress us;
disappointments afflict us; losses impoverish us;
And we fear Thine anger and Thine wrath.
O shut not Thy merciful ear to our prayers, but spare us,
O most Holy Lord; O God, most mighty;
O holy and most merciful Savior; Thou most worthy judge
Suffer us not, at our last hour, for any bitter pains
of death, to fall from Thee. And we beseech Thee O Lord
To receive with mercy unto Thine arms the soul of our dear
departed brethren today, that we may rejoice in their life
And honor their passing to Thy eternal care.
Thou Takest Away
Thou takest away, and who can hinder Thee, or say unto Thee
“What doest Thou?” Thou hast a right to do what Thou
wilt with Thine own.
Thou art a sovereign and the reasons of Thy conduct are often
far above, out of our sight. But Thy work is perfect, Thy
ways are judgment.
All Thy dispensations are wise, and righteous, and kind —
Even when they seem to be severe, as in this time of grief.
We acknowledge O God, with shame and sorrow, that the
state of degradation and mortality in which we groan was not
our original condition. Thou madest man upright, but he
sought out many inventions. Our first Father sinned, and we
have borne his iniquity. By one man sin entered into the
world, And death by sin; and so death hath passed upon all
men, for that all have sinned.
And we bless Thee that this is not our final state. By the
discoveries of faith, we see new heavens, and a new earth
wherein dwelleth righteousness. We see the spirits of just
men made perfect. We see our vile bodies changed and
fashioned like the Saviors own glorious body; and man,
the sinner, raised above the angels, who never sinned.
We bless Thee for this purpose of grace, formed before the
world began, and accomplished in the fullness of time
by the Son of Thy love, who hath abolished death, and
brought life and immortality to light by the gospel; and
who among the ravages of the grave, says, “I am the
Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though
He were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and
believeth in me shall never die.
May it be our immediate and supreme concern to win Christ,
and be found in Him; knowing that there is no condemnation
to them that are in Christ Jesus; and that blessed are the
dead that die in the Lord.
So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts
unto wisdom ” that wisdom which will lead us to prefer the
uoul to the body; and eternity to time; that wisdom which
will lead us to secure an interest in a better world, before
we are removed from this one.
Scripture for Funerals
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Click here to read more Bible Verses for Funerals
If you have any funeral prayers you’d like to share, please do so below. Also, feel free to submit a prayer request. That way, the whole Prayers for Special Help community can help pray for your loved one.
God Bless, you have our sympathy.
More Prayers for Strength
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Funeral Prayers"
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Mourning - Pray for my nephew’s son who is in his early twenties, got murdered last weekend. ...
- Give my cousin and her kids the strength to overcome her loss - Dear Lord a family member was taken in a tragic way from us. He leaves behind 2 daughters and a wife. Please give them strength… ...
- Doesn’t matter if - We don't have to know better to do right but we have to be fair, so no compassion give me all the beating I deserve… ...
- Prayer for husband to go to heaven - Please pray that Clinton my husband who died a few days ago will go to heaven and be happy and that I will find peace… ...
- Needing prayer - My husband passed away on June 9,2019. I am totally devastated, he was only 64. He has always taken care of me ...always expected to… ...
- Death in the family - I'm praying for the family of Jeffrey may the Lord God comfort them in their time of bereavement. ...
- My lost of a love one - My husband passed away several months ago and I'm overwhelmed of my lost and trying to settle and straighten out all the problems of settling… ...
- Strength after losing my mom - Dear lord l ask you to grant me the strength to cope with the passing of my mom. Please help me to be strong so… ...
- For those having crossed the threshold and for those of us still waiting - Dear God, my Father in Heaven, Today I praise and thank you for giving me an earthly father who was the epitome of a loving,… ...
- Grief and understanding - We lost our brother unexpectedly on Monday at the age of 33. Funeral services is June 8. Please pray for our grief, understanding and strength. ...
- Console the grieving - Dear heavenly loving father l bring to you all who are mourning especially those who have lost loved ones, their parent or children. Bless them… ...
- Healing Help - I pray for help to heal from the feelings of deep loss of many colleagues, friends and family especially those who left us by suicide. ...
- Help me help Mom with our loss - Dear God, Abba-Father - You have so many names that apply to every situation in our lives.. sometimes it's hard to know which name is… ...
- Financial provisions for mum’s burial program - For financial provisions for my mum's burial celebrations who lived all her life in divine health and returned to the Lord at 107 yrs. ...
- I am bereft - My darling husband, I miss you every minute of every day. You were kind, loyal, strong, patient. When my mental health problems were driving me… ...
- Depression - I will you to pray for my healing, and peace of mind. I can't get over my past. I'm always thinking. Oh God, give me… ...
- Peace, strength comfort - Praying for the Funeral of Bob W will be full with peace love strength and comfort for the family, specially for his daughter, sons and… ...
- Prayer for.my deceased mother - I pray that my mother is with Jesus in heaven, and I pray that she is ok. I know she was scared to die, and… ...
- My departed Sister - Please prayer for my sister Liz who is now in God's loving arms. Our family is in deep sorrow and pain, our hearts are broken. ...
- Prayer for Richard - I pray that Richard overcomes his addiction to substance abuse. I ask God to protect him mentally, spiritually and physically. Please guide him to correct… ...