Below is a collection of Funeral prayers that can be said before, during, or after a funeral ceremony or wake. It’s important to remember and cherish those who have passes with sacred blessings.
A funeral prayer should be comforting. Death is an uncomfortable time, but their is comfort in knowing that the deceased is now with God.
Oh Father of Mercies
Oh Father of mercies, and God of all comfort,
Thou hast often invited us to thyself in kindness.
It manifests our depravity that we think of Thee so little
In our hour of ease and prosperity!
But we are now before Thee in affliction and distress.
Yet we rejoice to know that Thou art a very present and an
All-sufficient help in trouble.
The Trifles of Time
O let not the trifles of time
induce us to neglect the one thing
needful. While each of us is
compelled to say, I know Thou
wilt bring me to death, and to
the house appointed for all
living, may we be enabled also
to say, I know in whom I have
believed, and am persuaded that
He is able to keep that which
I have committed to Him against
And let not the solemnities we have
this day witnessed be ever
forgotten; for often our most
serious impressions have worn
off, and our goodness has been
as the morning cloud, and as
early dew that soon passeth away.
Meditation on Death and Dying
May we hear thy voice in Thy rod, as well as in Thy word;
And gathering from the corrections with which we are
Exercised the peaceable fruit of righteousness, be able to
Acknowledge, with all our suffering brethren before us.
Now in our grief, we are ever mindful of Thee, and we
Humbly request Thy blessing, not just for our brethren
Who have gone to Thy side, but for ourselves, that we
Need not suffer such loss to remain ever mindful of Thee!
It is not only the Scripture that reminds us of our living in
A dying world, but all observation and experience.
Man is continually going to his long home, and the mourners
Daily go about the streets. And we are all accomplishing
As hirelings our day, and in a little time our neighbors,
Friends, and relations will seek us ” and we shall not be.
Thou hast made our days as a hands breadth,
And our age is as nothing before Thee; verily every man at
His best estate is altogether vanity.
Suffer Us Not, At Our Last Hour
For our days are not only few; but full of evil. Anxieties
perplex us; dangers alarm us; infirmities oppress us;
disappointments afflict us; losses impoverish us;
And we fear Thine anger and Thine wrath.
O shut not Thy merciful ear to our prayers, but spare us,
O most Holy Lord; O God, most mighty;
O holy and most merciful Savior; Thou most worthy judge
Suffer us not, at our last hour, for any bitter pains
of death, to fall from Thee. And we beseech Thee O Lord
To receive with mercy unto Thine arms the soul of our dear
departed brethren today, that we may rejoice in their life
And honor their passing to Thy eternal care.
Thou Takest Away
Thou takest away, and who can hinder Thee, or say unto Thee
“What doest Thou?” Thou hast a right to do what Thou
wilt with Thine own.
Thou art a sovereign and the reasons of Thy conduct are often
far above, out of our sight. But Thy work is perfect, Thy
ways are judgment.
All Thy dispensations are wise, and righteous, and kind —
Even when they seem to be severe, as in this time of grief.
We acknowledge O God, with shame and sorrow, that the
state of degradation and mortality in which we groan was not
our original condition. Thou madest man upright, but he
sought out many inventions. Our first Father sinned, and we
have borne his iniquity. By one man sin entered into the
world, And death by sin; and so death hath passed upon all
men, for that all have sinned.
And we bless Thee that this is not our final state. By the
discoveries of faith, we see new heavens, and a new earth
wherein dwelleth righteousness. We see the spirits of just
men made perfect. We see our vile bodies changed and
fashioned like the Saviors own glorious body; and man,
the sinner, raised above the angels, who never sinned.
We bless Thee for this purpose of grace, formed before the
world began, and accomplished in the fullness of time
by the Son of Thy love, who hath abolished death, and
brought life and immortality to light by the gospel; and
who among the ravages of the grave, says, “I am the
Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though
He were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and
believeth in me shall never die.
May it be our immediate and supreme concern to win Christ,
and be found in Him; knowing that there is no condemnation
to them that are in Christ Jesus; and that blessed are the
dead that die in the Lord.
So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts
unto wisdom ” that wisdom which will lead us to prefer the
uoul to the body; and eternity to time; that wisdom which
will lead us to secure an interest in a better world, before
we are removed from this one.
Scripture for Funerals
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Click here to read more Bible Verses for Funerals
If you have any funeral prayers you’d like to share, please do so below. Also, feel free to submit a prayer request. That way, the whole Prayers for Special Help community can help pray for your loved one.
God Bless, you have our sympathy.
More Prayers for Strength
Prayer Request: Post Your Own "Funeral Prayers"/>
If you'd like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don't use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn't want out on the web.
Don't post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests...
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- grief - My husband of 43 years passed December 7, 2019. I am missing him so much and am heartbroken. Pray that I can get through this… ...
- Shecora Family - for the death of Joseph Shecora and comfort to his family that my friend keeps her job there because she was very special to him… ...
- Prayers for Family and friends of Sebby - Sebby died 2 weeks ago in a tragic accident falling 90 feet off a ledge covered in brush and not visible. He was 13 years old.....he… ...
- Pray for my beloved grandmother who passed away yesterday - I can describe her as one of the kindest, most loving and caring persons I have ever known in my life. She has always put… ...
- Theresa - My husband’s sweet, kind 87 years old mother is at the hospital dying of heart failure. Prayers for strength, comfort and peace for husband and… ...
- Pray for the comfort of Junki’s family and friends - Please hold the family of MSU student, Junki, in your prayers. 23 year old Junki died last Thursday in Missoula as a result of a… ...
- For repose of souls - I ask you for help me to praying my intention : - for the soul of Miss Vony Telly Rumagit (my mother/61 years old) who… ...
- Sympathy /Condolence - We pray for the eternal repose of the soul of our brother Allan Sengco. May you forgive all his sins and received him in your… ...
- Grief - Father my family & I need your love & guidance to recover from our son/brother/Daddy/ uncle's sudden death. It still feels unreal. I have been… ...
- Death of my evil brothers n their evil wives - My brothers are taunting me coz I underwent major depression also coz I m getting divorced n d man I hoped to marry died. Viraj… ...
- Tragic Loss and Deep Grief for my family - pray for my niece Courtney & hubby Dylan & Father Cody. Last week Courtneys baby girl went to heaven. Charlotte she was a day old.… ...
- I am the only 1 left - That I grow in faith daily... My sister passed away 6/21/11 9yrs and 1mth then my Daddy passed away last week 7/21/20...both days were Tuesday...and… ...
- Prayer for our dearly departed - Lord, I pray for that eternal rest and infinite joy of your heavenly kingdom be upon my mother, Eutiquia "Tessie". Please call her soul, forgive… ...
- Robinson family and friends - I lost my best friend to cancer! It happened so fast! Seems like it was so long ago but it just happened maybe three days… ...
- Prayers for Mike’s family - Please pray for the family of Mike as they mourn his death. Mike died early this afternoon from a very aggressive form of leukemia, a… ...
- One of my BFF s died today - Due to covid my best friend forever..my sister in you Lord..she died today...3rd extended family member I know and loved dearly who has died in… ...
- In my Time of Sorrow - I'm going thru a very difficult time , I have lost my brother in death 3 yrs.ago. And recently I lost my beloved pet JC… ...
- My Sister’s Passing - Lord Jesus, Please have mercy on my sister's soul. Forgive her of her sin. Cover her in your precious blood, and make her clean. Lord,… ...
- Repose of mum’s soul - Dear Lord We pray that my much loved deceased mother and best friend Michelina who died unexpectedly in May 2020 and suffered so much for… ...
- Brokenhearted - Loss of my son. An amazing godly man, dedicated and loving son, husband, dad, brother, grandson and papa. He was giving, never selfish, hard working,… ...